In order to best prepare for your telemedicine appointment, please complete the following:
- If you haven’t already, please register for the MyTDE patient portal. In order to register, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name & phone #. Please include in your message that you are needing access to the portal.
- Complete Pre-registration/Check-in online. Be on the lookout for an appointment reminder 6 days prior to your appointment with pre-registration instructions. Note: Copays will be due at the time of pre-registration and/or the patient will be expected to call billings at 512-458-8400, option 6, to resolve their balance within 30 days. If you have not received this link either through email or text – please contact our scheduling department at 512-458-8400, option 2 so they can resend.
- Have your updated medications list readily available.
- If you are needing any medications refills, please be prepared to notify your provider.
- Any medical history updates? (surgeries/procedures, hospitalizations, etc.) Please be prepared to notify your provider.
- Please be prepared to minimize any background noise during your phone/telemedicine visit.
- The same standard of care applies to a telemedicine visit as applies to an in-person visit.
- Patients will not be physically in the same room as their health care provider. Patients will be notified of and consent obtained for anyone other than the healthcare provider present in the room.
- It should be understood that there are potential risks to using technology, including service interruptions, interception and technical difficulties.
- If it is determined that the videoconferencing equipment and/or connection is not adequate, the healthcare provider or patient may discontinue the telemedicine visit and make other arrangements to continue the visit.
- Patients have the right to refuse to participate or decide to stop participating in a telemedicine visit, and that refusal will be document in their medical records. Refusals will not affect patients’ rights to future care or treatment.
- Patients may revoke their rights at any time by contacting Texas Diabetes at 512-458-8400.
- The laws that protect privacy and the confidentiality of health care information apply to telemedicine services.
- Patients’ health care information may be shared with other individuals for scheduling and billing purposes.
- Patients’ insurance carriers will have access to patients’ medical records for quality review/audit.
- Patients will be responsible for any out-of-pocket costs such as copayments or coinsurances that apply to my telemedicine visit.
- Health plan payment policies for telemedicine visits may be different from policies for in-person visits.
- The ‘Telemedicine Informed Consent’ document will become part of my medical record, once signed.
Download Telemedicine Informed Consent Here.
★ For patients with CGMS or Insulin Pumps – If we do not already have your password or access to your data, please send us the download via email to email@example.com or through your MyTDE patient portal in advance of the appointment
★ PLEASE take the time to “Test Your Device Compatibility” in advance by following this link: https://info.updox.com/video-chat-technical-specs. On the day/time of your appointment, an invitation to Video Chat will arrive on your device via text message. (If we do not have a mobile phone # on file for you, the invitation link will be sent via email.) Once received, please click the link to be taken to the Secure Video Chat environment. The first time you use Video Chat, your device may ask for permission to use your camera and microphone. Please allow access. You will be taken directly into a video chat session with your provider. The microphone and camera buttons will pause the audio and video you are sending. The red “phone” button will disconnect the chat. Please note: Patients with android or desktop computers must copy the link into the Google Chrome Browser, otherwise it will open their default browser and not redirect them.
★ ONE DAY PRIOR, if you use a Personal CGM or Insulin Pump, a Medical Assistant will be in contact by phone to update your medical information and complete the pre-workup for your telemedicine visit.
★ WITHIN TWO BUSINESS DAYS, a Front Desk member will be in contact by phone to schedule your future visits and collect any outstanding balances.
★ If your appointment has been converted to PHONE visit: Your Provider will contact you directly on the # we have on file at the time of your scheduled appointment. Please expect some delays.
Please note: Insurance coverage for telemedicine is impacted by federal and state laws as well as insurance company policies. You should check with your insurer regarding how telemedicine is covered under your particular policy. The following insurances have agreed to cover telemedicine visit as a routine office visits until the end of the PHE (Public Health Emergency)*
- Aetna **Note: Aetna self-insured plans coverage varies, please contact your insurer directly.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Tricare & Prime
- *Many Texas health insurers and health maintenance organizations are offering telemedicine at no cost to consumers. Check their websites for more information – https://www.tdi.texas.gov/new/2020/covid-19-health-plan-actions.html